Good Morning Fellow Wedge Staff,
As we enter into another of what some may say has been the hardest weeks we’ve faced as a whole in our times, I wanted to take a moment to share some words of inspiration. It seems we can all benefit from inspiration and encouragement during these unique and difficult times. As Human Service professionals, we know how inspiration and focus can help shift energy and boost moods. At this particularly challenging and peculiar time, meaningful and memorable words of wisdom can resonate often times giving us a fresh perspective when we are feeling stressed, anxious, depressed, fearful or simply just BLAH. Tape them to your desk or workstation, write them on your mirror and look at a couple whenever you feel in need of a little emotional, spiritual or mental inspiration.
- The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy.
- —Martin Luther King Jr.
- This iconic quote resonates perfectly at this moment in time, when we are all challenged to be our best selves.
- Opportunities to find deeper powers within ourselves come when life seems most challenging.
- —Joseph Campbell
- Campbell understood that when things seem the hardest, human beings find the tenacity and inner resources to take on anything.
- You have power over your mind — not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.
- —Marcus Aurelius
- Aurelius and other Stoic philosophers urged us to step outside of our thoughts and be aware of them instead of being imprisoned by them.
- Danger gathers upon our path. We cannot afford — we have no right — to look back. We must look forward.
- —Winston Churchill
- A great quote from the wartime British Prime Minister, really about the strength of the human spirit to endure. Yes, things are likely to get worse, but we can power through with courage.
- In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity.
- —Sun Tsu
- These difficult times are giving us the opportunity to look inward, reflect on what truly matters, and connect with ourselves and our loved ones on a deeper level.
- Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.
- —Albert Einstein
- The physicist had endless curiosity and the quote is a reminder that humans have huge wells of imagination (as well as science) to draw from and to get us through the pandemic.
- What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
- —Ralph Waldo Emerson
- A wonderful reminder from the 19th-century American philosopher about the value of looking inside to find meaning.
Takisa Gallman, Vice President Administrative Services – on Behalf of the Operations Group